Thursday, October 6, 2011

Painting British Cold War Infantry

Well, this is a first for me, a painting tutorial. I've never really done this, but I do think I can do it!
We're going to be painting British Army infantry from the Cold War, particularly the 1970's or 80's, at the time of The Troubles was in it's prime.
Here's the figure for the tutorial. It's from Mongrel Miniatures, and it's the British Marines set which I showed you yesterday. Well anyway, put the black basecoat on, let it dry and then begin painting.

First paint your webbing. Paint it Humbrol 117, which is a dark green.


Now for the uniform base. It's Humbrol 71.


Okay, now for the beginning of the DPM pattern. First paint the brown swoops, I used Humbrol 70 for that. Some of you may be wondering how to paint consistant swoops, well I have an answer. All you need to do is just paint letters. Yup, letters. I find that the letters e, f, an upside down y, p, x, z, c v and j tend to work really good. Also and upper-case L. Those all work good. Make sure to fill in about 2/3 of the uniform base.


For the SLR L1A1 I used Humbrol 70 as well.

Okay, now for the green splotches. Use Humbrol 86 for that. Do the same letter before, except fill in the spaces that you left. Just leave some base showing.

For the squigly black lines, those don't really have to be a letter. Any shape does fine.

For the flesh I used Humbrol 61.


I can't remember what paint this is, all it really is is just some red paint I got at AC Moore. However, you don't have to paint it Red for the Paras, you can paint it an colour you want.


After I washed it, painted the eyes and everything, it came out okay. I think the DPM came out more when I washed it.


Well that's all, folks! If you have any questions at all just leave a comment and I'll answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment