Saturday, October 13, 2012

A (half-@$$) painting guide for Korean War U.S./U.N. Infantry

Good morning, day, afternoon or evening, people.
Since I probably won't be getting my paint any time in the near future, I decided to experiment with some colors that I've used in the past to (kind of) mimic the OG-107 uniform, which was used by the U.S. Army, along with a number of other countries, from the 1950's to about the 1980's (I'm sure other countries still use it).
I couldn't really find any painting guides for Korean War infantry out there, so I guess I'm the first.
Anyway, here it is!

Paints you'll need:
Vallejo Buff
Vallejo Olive Grey
Vallejo Flat Brown
Vallejo Khaki
Some sort of skin tone
Vallejo Flat Black
A black wash

Step 1: The Base 
First, add a good coat of black.

Next, drybrush on Vallejo Olive Grey, then give it a black wash (I used GW's Nuln Oil). 

Step 2: Equipment check!
Give the backpack and other equipment a coat of Flat Brown.

After you do that, drybrush on some Vallejo Khaki to the equipment, but also paint the helmet khaki. I would recommend dabbing on some Vallejo Flat Brown or Olive Grey for the camouflage on the helmet cover.

This is what the helmet should look like.

Paint the straps Vallejo Buff, and highlight the helmet Buff as well.

Step 3: This is my rifle, this is my gun
Paint the M1 Garand (if your soldier's got one) Vallejo Flat Brown, and the metal parts either Flat Black or Gunmental.

Step 4: Sick kicks, bro...
Paint the flesh whatever skin tone you feel like. Just a quick fact, the Korean War was the first conflict where units in the U.S. Army were not entirely segregated. Also, a number of countries fought in it.

Paint the boots Flat Black.
The Finished product! 
Right after the wash.



Like I said, this is a pretty vague painting guide, so it's not completely historically accurate, but at least it's close.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment